Each of our programs has different requirements about service areas, income requirements, and cost to the homeowner. This page covers the requirements for each program. Eligibility rules may change, our staff will know the latest changes and can talk you through any questions.
Choose a program to see it's eligibility requirements.
- The building must lie within our service area. [MAP]
- Program is available for both tenants and landlords. If the property owner does not meet the income guidelines they are required to pay 25% of the total cost of the project.
- The house must be a safe work environment for the work crews. Any health hazards must be repaired before weatherization can begin.
- NHS of South Buffalo cannot provide weatherization on the same property more than once.
- Household income must meet guidelines for the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). If your family size is not shown, call to ask the income limit.
|Household Size||Gross Monthly Income Limit (at or below)|
- Eligible Borrowers
- Loans are restricted to owner-occupied residential (1-4 family) properties.
- Household income must be at or below 80% of the area median income. If your family size is not shown, call to ask the income limit.
|Annual Income Limit||$35,700||$40,800||$45,900||$50,950||$55,050|
- Eligible Properties
- Properties must be located within the NHS of South Buffalo service area. [MAP]
- Properties are typically one to four family residences.
- Eligible Use of Funds
- A wide variety of rehabilitation, repair, home improvement, and home ownership needs are eligible. These may include:
- Correction of city code or incipient code violations;
- Repair or replacement of mechanical or structural systems;
- Energy conservation improvements (also see our weatherization program);
- Functional obsolescence (i.e. outdated fuses or other equipment);
- Functional "remodeling" of kitchens, baths, basements, etc. (i.e. repair leaks);
- Functional landscaping, when related to other rehab work;
- Restoration of unique architectural details.
- Closing costs and fees are not financed.
- Loan Terms
- The maximum amount of the owner's mortgage shall not exceed $15,000.
- The maximum term of the owner's mortgage shall generally not exceed 30 years.
- The maximum term of the loan is 120 months (10 years).
- The interest rate will be calculated on a simple interest, periodic basis. Interest rates may range from 1% to the market rate.
- All loans exceeding $1,000 shall be secured by a mortgage.
- If the CLTV (Combined Loan to Value Ratio) of all secured loans and the proposed mortgage is 80% or less, mortgage will generally be considered in any position.
- First mortgages are not to exceed 80% Loan to Value (LTV).
- Second mortgages, when the outstanding balance of the first and second mortgages do not exceed 80% LTV.
- Types of Loans
- The loan committee will consider, but is not limited to, the following types of loans:
- Fully amortized loans using various interest rates and terms.
- NHS of South Buffalo loan combined with a loan and/or grant from a public agency.
- Any combination of the above.
- There is a $300.00 application fee charged once you qualify for the loan.
- Once qualified, the loan must still be approved by the loan committee.
- Loan funds and outstanding mortgages combined cannot exceed 80% of the assessed value of the house.
- Homeowners may apply for loans as needed, there is no maximum to how many times you may receive loans.
Return to top of page
- Eligible Businesses
- Available for any retail, professional, sales, or service enterprise with annual sales under $1 million and/or less than 50 employees, located or planning to locate in the South Buffalo Service Area. [MAP]
- Home based businesses are eligible to apply.
- Businesses may apply for loans as needed, there is no maximum to how many times you may receive loans.
- Eligible Activities
- Eligible activities include, but are not limited to: siding removal/replacement, painting signage, installation/repair of existing signage, doors, windows, window displays and awnings, landscaping, paving, lighting, and any structural repairs necessitated by one or more of the aforementioned activities.
- Exterior Building Code corrections to the commercial portion of the property are eligible items.
- All improvements must be handicapped accessible.
Return to top of page
- There are no eligibility requirements (geographic, income, etc.) to work with our financial counselor.
- Apartments are no longer limited based on income.
- Your application will be assessed based on evidence of stable income, references from previous landlords, and criminal record. The same standard is used for every application.
- NHS of South Buffalo does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, military status, marital status, disability, age, because of children, or gender identity and expression.
- Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis.